As I previously wrote here on teachable prayer times for kids, teaching our girls how to pray is important to us. We are by no means perfect in our attempts, but we do try to be as consistent as possible. Here are some tips that we have used that are currently working for our family.
- We make prayer our first response. When our girls express alarm, or concern, or an injury, we try to make prayer, even if its a quick prayer, the first thing we do. I believe that this teaches my girls that prayer should be our first response.
- We pray frequently. We don’t just want our girls to pray before meals and bedtime, but throughout the day, we try to say quick brief prayers, even if its just thanking God for a beautiful day.
- Model a consistent prayer life. Jesus taught his disciples how to pray. It is important that we teach our children how to pray.
- Make prayer a priority. Deuteronomy 6:7 instructs us to teach children when they sit at home, walk along the road, lie down and get up. I have some graphics that my friend Hery designed for this Scripture that I will share in another post.
- Start now. Don’t wait any longer. Now is the time to teach our children how to pray.